Wednesday 1 August 2012

Dieu du Ciel! Blanche du Paradis

Today, one of the beers I drank was another delicious nectar from our good friends at Dieu du Ciel! And it was gone within minutes, I assure you, given the midget size of the bottle and the quaffable nature of Belgian blanche/wit beer. It was very Belgian indeed; pale in colour and cloudy from plenty of suspended yeast; a top quality mouthfeel and ample bread flavours.There were emphatic clove and grapefruit tastes, the latter mixing nicely with a subtle hop bitterness. Altogether, this beer met all expectations, notwithstanding the fact that I generally prefer the German wheat beer style to the Belgian one. The addition of spices is not really my cup of tea (or rather, mug of beer!), and Belgians like to throw in flavoring agents to add something to the palate (The bottle does declare spices in the list of ingredients). No good German brewer who recites the Reinheitsgebot every night before going to bed would dare put any such foreign objects into their brew. The Blanche du Paradis also has wonderful label, about which my 6-year old daughter asked: "what kind of princess is that?" I explained to her that it is a beer princess, an answer that was met with a fair dose of skepticism.

Here is another Dieu du Ciel family picture from my photo shoot in front of the pub:


No comments:

Post a Comment