Wednesday 22 August 2012

Mexican Sin: Corona Extra

Forgive me, fellow beer lovers, for I have sinned. Attending a soccer game between the Montreal Impact and the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday, and sitting (or rather, standing) in the section for the local Ultras, my participation in the chants and screaming made me thirsty, so I needed a beer. A professional sporting event in Canada is not the best place for a thirsty beer snob, because inevitably, you will have to make do with the swill made by one larger brewer or the piss brewed by another. In addition, you have to compromise your snobbishness at a cost that makes you want to fart with derision into the general direction of those responsible for the price gouging.

My sin, then is that I chose to drink a Corona Extra in a can of Midget Extinguisher size. My alternative would have been Coors Light, and so I think that I managed to pick the lesser of two evils. The serving staff even tried to push a piece of lime, which I simply ignored and left behind because I hate foreign objects in my beer! To deepen my shame, I had to drink the Corona either out of the can or pour it into a plastic cup. Since I wanted to show the colour of the beer, I had to stoop even lower and commit this final dirty beer deed. One small saving grace here is that because the beer came in the can, I was able to avoid the potential damage to beer caused by exposure to sunlight (it creates skunkiness), which inevitably happens to Corona in its normal clear glass bottle.

And if you think my suffering stopped here, think again. Not having my camera equipment with me, I had to take the photos with my cell phone. I despise those little stinking pieces of technological shit that so many people use to trumpet their private conversation in public or that ring in places and/or at times when personal attention to others or a common experience with them is asked for. When cameras were built into those little annoying machines, I thought "hey, maybe there is something useful to be gained," But the quality of the pictures my cell phone takes is so abysmal, that I can only revert to my old dictum: If you want to take photos, use a camera, not a telephone! Please forgive the poor quality of the pictures below and understand that the main reason I am posting this is because I am obligated to confess my sins.

The ultimate humiliation was drinking this beer - and my apologies go out to all those other beers that I have featured on this blog in the past because they do not deserve to be put into the same category as today's feature. I once read in a beer book that a particular product tasted like wet card board, and I think I finally know what this means. This beer tasted like little else other than sweetish adjunct, with little discernable bitterness or hops flavors - only a hint of hey or grass. Thank God that the Impact won the game 3:1 and there were 3 red cards to help divert my attention away from the beer. For once, having one beer did not make me want to have another. Let my sins be forgiven!



No comments:

Post a Comment