Monday 16 July 2012

What is this and why am I doing it or, Grolsch can on stage?

Today is the day on which I have finally been inspired about what I should blog (is this some kind of "lower" calling?). A friend sent me a link to a web page of one of her friends, in which he documents the beers he encountered during his travels doing wildlife photography. The page can be found at http://www.rakuensanka.com/beer/index.html

Now this is exactly the kind of theme I find exciting, and I am just miffed that I did not think of starting something like this earlier. Of course, I will develop my own interpretation of taking photos of beer containers and their contents - after all, I do not have the luxury of traveling for professional reasons to all kinds of exotic locations, unless you consider St. John's, NL or Regina, SK exotic. But I do know my way around beer and am fond of taking photos. I will start later today by taking pictures of what I drink this evening. Looking at the pictures on the website of my friend's friend, I like those that incorporate the landscape, place, or surroundings of consumption, and when possible include a picture of both the container and its content poured into a receptacle.

Here then is the old standby - or better, one of two old standbys - a fine Dutch lager of quite some pedigree: Grolsch. I have have enjoyed it many times in its traditional swivel-top bottle, and I will be certain to take a picture of that other, more noble container, in the future. But for tonight, seeing that I am enjoying one (or two) of my two old standbys, I have captured another form, the can, together with its contents "on stage" - in the spot light. This stage might see many other beers in the future. The beer looks darker in the photo than it actually is, which is more of a golden straw colour. The taste is a fine balance between sweet and bitter, with a considerably rich mouth-feel. The people at Grolsch have recently come out with a sleek new can design, and another future project might be the old and the new Grolsch cans together - at last!


No comments:

Post a Comment