Thursday 19 July 2012

Tonight we have another fine German beer: König Pilsener (note the change in spelling from Pilsner!), or King Pilsener. Funny enough, I'd prefer to call this beer Königin Pilsner, or Queen Pilsener, because beer is after all word of feminine root (as in la bière). The can reads: "The king of beers," and I wonder whether this is another part of the Budweiser brand that was appropriated from elsewhere. The name Budweiser is of course taken from the name of a Czech beer from the town of Budejovice (Budweis in German), and if the slogan comes from König Pilsener, there seems precious little left that is original. But I digress, although I now already look forward to the occasion when I get to feature the real Budweis beer from the Czech Republic.
You might think "What's up with all the German beers?" Well, I am quite fond of German beers. They are close to my heart (and stomach!). What's there not to like anyway? And if you think all German beer is like the German beers I have shown so far, think again. There are a number of very different styles that I plan to cover in the future - Kölsch, Alt, Weizen, Schwarzbier, Kellerbier, etc. But I digress again. This König Pilsener is also a rather dry character, less spicy than Wernesgrüner in its hops flavors and with a slightly more bitter finish, but a similar malt to hops balance. I have even pulled out my upside-down bottle glass for this one - what an honour and fit for a king (or a queen, for that matter).

No comments:

Post a Comment